Garden windows are perfect for an area like your kitchen or breakfast nook, allowing you to grow and use your own herbs.
Garden Windows: Bringing the Outdoors In
Are you looking for a way to bring more natural light and greenery into your home? If so, a garden window might be just what you need. Garden windows are a type of window that extends outward from the house, providing additional space for plants, herbs, or other decorative items. In this blog post, we’ll explore the benefits of garden windows and some tips for incorporating them into your home.
What is a garden window?
A garden window is a window that extends from the exterior wall of a house. Like bay windows, garden windows feature a three-dimensional design with three side panels and a top panel pitched at 90 degrees to bring in light and allow for rain runoff. This is why garden windows are also called garden bay windows or box bay windows. Garden windows can also have operating front or side panels to allow more oxygen into the home for your plants. There are many options to choose from when it comes to the style and functionality of a garden bay window. As a result, your window sill becomes a greenhouse-like space where you can display plants and other décor.
A garden window can also provide a lot of natural light to brighten up a room. Most often, you’ll find them above a sink in a kitchen, but they can also be found in a dining room, nook, bathroom, or laundry room.
Why Should I Consider Adding a Garden Window?
With garden windows, you can bring the outdoors inside and spruce up your home. Garden windows are a great addition to any home as they offer a variety of benefits, including:
- More natural light: Garden windows are designed to let in a lot of natural light, which can make your home brighter and more welcoming. Compared with a standard window, a garden window has four panels of glass to allow more natural light to enter the house.
- Improved ventilation: Garden windows are designed to be opened easily, which allows for better ventilation and air circulation in your home.
- Additional space: Garden windows jut out from the exterior of your home, which can provide extra space for plants, herbs, or decorative items.
- Increased home value: Garden windows are a desirable feature for many homebuyers and can increase the resale value of your home. Adding a garden window to your home also adds visual interest and character. Besides adding a custom touch to your living room or kitchen, it can also enhance the curb appeal of your home.
- Energy efficiency: Many garden windows are designed with insulated glass and other energy-efficient features, which can help you save money on your heating and cooling bills.
- Indoor Gardening: The extra natural light from a garden window’s three-dimensional design makes it ideal for growing plants. Take advantage of the natural greenhouse effect with plants and flowers, or grow your favorite herbs and snip off what you need while cooking.
What Size Do Garden Windows Come In?
Compared to traditional bow or bay windows, garden bay windows are on the smaller side of home windows. They serve more as decorative accents or architectural details. Garden windows are best suited to specific rooms or areas of the house due to their three-dimensional design, like the kitchen, bathrooms, breakfast nooks, or other small dining spaces.
A garden window comes in a variety of standard sizes, ranging from 24″ x 24″ on the smaller side to 72″ x 60. However, all of Unified Home Remodeling’s garden bay windows can be custom-made to just about any size you could desire.
Tips for Incorporating Garden Windows into Your Home
- Consider Placement – When choosing a location for your garden window, consider factors like the amount of natural light and the ease of access for watering and maintenance.
- Choose the Right Plants – Not all plants are suitable for a garden window. Choose plants that thrive in bright, indirect light and don’t require a lot of space to grow.
- Add Decorative Touches – Garden windows can be a great place to display decorative items like vases, sculptures, or other small pieces of art. Choose items that complement the natural beauty of your plants.
- Keep it Clean – To keep your garden window looking its best, be sure to clean it regularly. Use a gentle cleaner and a soft cloth to avoid damaging the glass.
Need more ideas on what to add to your garden window?
Create a beautiful, relaxing home with these ten garden window ideas.
Adding garden windows to a kitchen, nook, bathroom, or laundry room adds character and charm. In order to reduce the chances of leaks and sagging, garden window installation should be left to a professional. Connect with the top garden window installation professionals in Long Island, New York, by contacting Unified!
Are you interested in installing garden windows for your next project?
Let Unified take care of your upcoming window installation or replacement project. We proudly carry an extensive range of affordable and luxury windows from renowned brands and industry-leading manufacturers like Pella, Anderson, and Ideal.
Shopping for garden windows doesn’t have to be complicated. Using our team’s expertise, we will assist you in choosing a window that meets your energy efficiency, design, and style preferences. Get your Free Estimate today, and we’ll help you create a window package tailored to your needs. We can be reached at (888) 631-2131 or through our website.